HHI Bridge blog https://hhibridge.blogspot.com/ is organized into two columns. The left column contains posts of bridge technical analyses (numbered), bridge news and bridge events (unnumbered). Scroll the left column starting with the most current post to the oldest post. The right column is an guide to maneuver with links around the blog. Scroll the right column for pages, topics and links.

scroll left column ↓ deals, news & events
scroll right column → pages, topics & links

0021 - Weak Notrump

Here is a fun slam I played with Dave Woods, our resident Canadian. I like playing weak notrumps. I started playing 12-14 notrumps with my friend and partner Marty Nathan formerly Hilton Head and now Atlanta. In addition to Dave Woods, I play weak notrumps with Jamie Traudt and Geoff Phipps.

This deal was played as Board 9 Thu. March 12, 2020 with Dave Woods at the Hilton Head Bridge Club.


Auction: North deals and with 13 hcp and a balanced hand I opened the bidding 1NT. Dave and I play weak notrumps of 12-14 hcp with all systems ON. East-West are silent throughout. Dave bids 2 as a transfer to clubs (we play 4-way transfers). My bid of 2NT denies a holding such as Xxx high honor with 3 cards in clubs (i.e., I don't like clubs). Dave said later he knew I didn't like clubs because he holds all the high honors  AKQJ.

here is the complete auction ...


After 2 NT I think Dave bid 3  as a forcing bid to get me to further define my hand. If after 3  I had bid 4  it would have shown a weak hand without much support for the majors. But with the KJ5 and  KQ107 I have good support for the majors so I bid 3 NT. And brother Dave bid 6 NT.

Play: There is not much to the play of the hand. An opening lead of a diamond could have been bad but East was not leading away from the  K6 in a 6 NT contract. I think the lead was a heart but it doesn't really matter. Declarer can make two leads on spades, but not a third, winning: 2 spades + 4 hearts + 1 diamond + 7 clubs is 14 tricks after losing to the  A.

The HHI Bridge blog is dedicated to a better understanding of the game of bridge. There is not just one way to bid or play a hand of bridge, there will be differences of opinion and that is OK ... feel free to make a comment on a post. 

No comments: